Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Neil Gaiman's "Coraline"


Yesterday, Chris had to go to the dentist and I went with him, so we could get groceries afterwards. I brought his copy of Coraline with me, to read while I waited.

We're both Gaiman fans, but Chris started reading Gaiman's prose waaay before I ventured to (literally yesterday). Not sure why it took me so long -- I collected his Sandman comics from the beginning for example, so I knew he's a brilliant writer -- but I'll be the first to admit that my bookpiles tend to be stacked high with graphic novels, biographies or something church- or art-related. In other words, I don't read a lot of fiction without pictures (!). Especially lately.

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I started it in the waiting room and finished it before going to bed (yeah, I KNOW! Why did I read it before bed!!?? It's a scary story!). But it was SO great, I had to find out what happened to Coraline because I knew I otherwise would not sleep.

(And actually, I slept really well afterwards!)

While I read it I felt like I was 9 years old again -- reading a spooky delicious book that was challenging and TRUE! Because you know little kids can see things some grownups can't, and it was just amazing how Gaiman wielded the narrator's voice ... that perfect simplicity of storytelling that was yet so captivating.

From the neighbors getting Coraline's name wrong ('it's not "Caroline"') to Coraline resolving to be very brave in the face of a mysterious other trying to capture her, I felt a wonderful kinship with this marvelous little girl, and re-inspired bravery by reading this book.

If I had kids I would totally read this with them!

No comments: