Sunday, October 26, 2014

Inspiration From Milestone Comics Goes On ... So What Will You Do?


It's the craziest thing. Over the past year I've stumbled into these weird pockets of mournful funk, and some of it specifically involves comics and my place in them and what I have made (or more like, what I have not made.) And it gets very emotional and weird and mid-life crisis-like.

I try not to tie in this period of mournfulness back into the coincidentally-it-was-also-the-20th-Anniversary-of-the-debut-of-Milestone Comics. 'Cause I have to look at that simply. And while I was there on opening day,  I still have to put the experience into perspective. I only worked there a shade over 2 1/2 years, close to 3 -- and that was split up over 4 years. I was still young enough (and ignorant enough) then to not have the scope of understanding that I actually had an excellent and unusually good working situation even if the pay was not glamorous. That buzz was not just comics publishing. That buzz was Milestone Comics specific and had very much to do with the people I worked with and the gentlemen I worked for.

The craziest thing is, each time I get into these super-duper painful spots, Joe Illidge has written a fantastic article about Milestone Comics, and about diversity in comics, and about inspiration, and how it just needs to happen. Like a well-timed preacher on Sunday morning who speaks a word you really need to hear, he says stuff I need to hear (or rather, in this case, read!)

For as long as it's up, here's the latest article he's written for his column on Comic Book Resources: The Mission: The Next Milestone. I would love for you to read it.

The whole article is great -- but I've pasted a chunk below for better keeping, because when that article eventually comes down off CBR to make room for new stuff, maybe a part of it will still at least still be here on this blog.

So (with apologies to Joe!) I've bolded the font on my absolutely most favorite part.

Joe Illidge wrote:

"But that's not what I consider the best answer to the question "When is Milestone coming back?",

if the question is asked of me ever again, and mind you, I'm not qualified to answer that question definitively.


But as a man who lost his father in his pre-teens, and lost one of his mentors in his forties, I know the answer to looking for leadership, for a way to the answer you want to hear so badly, is not the return of what you cannot manifest or wield or control.


The answer is to either become what you've lost, or create something new.

Or both.

To create something just as good, and potent, and creative, and imaginative.

To want to be as giving of yourself, as others were to you.

To learn from the sacrifices of those whom you admire, to emulate or improve upon the best of their actions, while hopefully avoiding the minefields, pits and bear traps they encountered.

So, honestly, I love Milestone Media, Inc., what it was for me as a younger man and extending into the present. Their heroes are my heroes. The founders are my mentors, friends, and allies.

But instead of someone asking me "When is Milestone coming back?", I'd prefer they know the answer.

I'd prefer the answer be "I am the next Milestone."

"This is who I am. This is what I can do well." And maybe even "This is when I'm going to do it."

To that, I would say...

"I can't wait to see it.""

"... (B)ecome what you've lost or create something new." I just love that!


Are you inspired yet? 

What will you do?

How will you tell your story?

What will your comic be about?

How will you share it -- online? In print? On a website? On a blog? In a mini comic? At conventions? Will you tell us on Google+ the latest page is up?

Does it have to be an epic saga right off the bat ... or can it be a slow trickle that carves out a mountainside  ...?

I echo Joe -- I can't wait to see it!

No comments: