Wednesday, July 02, 2014

David Mazzucchelli's Asterios Polyp GN

                     
My sister gave me a copy of David Mazzucchelli's very first graphic novel, Asterios Polyp. I don't know where to begin, I just loved this story so much.

There's something to the art of drawing comics ... of creating a graphic novel ... that just fascinates me. The storyteller can play with time and space and even give an entire concept, just by whispering ideas through visual clues ... (yeah, I know, you can't "whisper" a "visual" idea, but that idea/language feels like a correct poetic expression of my thought ... Bear with me!)

The story is just wonderful ... of a man's transformation of character. I further loved the use of shape and color not just as an expression of the characters' states of mind and being ... but also as an expression of the state of the overall story from beginning to end. (Look at it!)  It was very emotionally touching. And artistically delightful.

 (In the hands of the right director, this could also make a beautiful little indie movie.)

No comments: