Wednesday, March 03, 2010

New Faves -- Dr. Who!!

Okay, so I've been SO busy not blogging, I've actually been working on 3 other key things: reading non-fiction, working on this graphic novel stuff (I will never complain about WHERE Craig Thompson's next graphic novel is again. Dang, if this stuff isn't SO time consuming!) and watching lotsa TV/movies (yes, that's sad, I know. I'm indoors a lot.)

BUT, in all couch potato geekiness, I have to say I have a number of new favorites now. On the top of the list has to be the absolutely brilliant new Dr. Who series. (Okay, so the new kid you'll see on the link there to the official BBC home page is the latest Dr. Who, and he starts on the next season set to begin. Dunno what he's like yet. But we are hoping that the very obvious "making the Doctor younger" each time he regenerates is actually part of the overall plot.) Meanwhile, we are in the middle of watching Season 3 with David Tennant as Dr. Who and we just LOVE IT!

"My" Dr. Who is still officially Tom Baker, since he's the one I "imprinted" on back in the day (didn't watch many whole episodes then, but GOLLY I loved the theme music!) ... & yes, I know it's corny -- but I even crocheted my own version of a tremendously long, stripey Dr. Who scarf that I would wear. (Tom Baker's Dr. Who wore a crazy long scarf.)

Now of this new set of Dr. Who episodes, I must admit I'm still rather partial to Christopher Eccleston's Doctor from season one, because frankly, you can't top that totally gleeful smile of his! And he has a great nose (talking drawing-wise.) But I must admit, I've now grown to love David Tennant's portrayal of the Doctor as well ...

The stories on the show itself have really been terrific. Part sci-fi time travel, part crazy monsters and machines, part mystery and political intrigue. Great fun. Also wonderful to be able to fill in the gaps and watch the old incarnations of the Doctor (I think Chris told me the new kid is number 11?) and get a good sense of overall series continuity.

Now totally wondering whether the comics will be any good. Looking forward to finding out.

No comments: