Wednesday, March 03, 2010

More New Faves (aside from Dr. Who)

Okay, I'll try to keep this one short and sweet.

List of the latest favorite people/things I discovered in 2009 while I was not blogging:

1) composer Philip Glass

My first exposure to his work was in that movie Koyaanisqatsi back in the 80s. I thought his music, quite simply, was really WEIRD. Then we saw a great PBS special on him and we got a good sense of who he was. I really grew to respect his work and like certain pieces a lot, and appreciate him as an artist. Very cool.

2) The TV show Psych. (The guys are funny!)

3) The vegetable Squash.

Seriously. I'd never eaten squash before. Then one of our elders at church shared some yellow squash they had grown in their garden, and told me how to sautee it. LOVE it! Tried spaghetti squash and zucchini for the first time, and loved them, too. Yay!

4) The TV show Burke's Law.

Old 60's detective show produced by Aaron Spelling (!) It's the relationship between Captain Burke, Detective Tim and Detective Les that's a hoot. Love 'em.

5) The writer James Cain.

Read his Mildred Pierce and Double Indemnity. I love that the same writer wrote two such very different novels.

6) The TV show Coach.

Well, at least the first (I think) 6 seasons. Don't love it when they "moved to Florida" so now I'm stuck midway through season 7 (is it?) kinda not compelled to watch more ... though I DO wanna know what happens with the baby.

7) The comedian Jack Benny.

Been watching some old episodes of the Jack Benny show just because (I've heard about him often, just wanted to know what he and the show were like). And what I just LOVE about him is the way he'll deliver a line really deadpan and then look at us, like we're in on the joke with him. Love that.

Anyway. Aside from drawing comics, that's what I've been doing while I've been away!

No comments: