Monday, December 31, 2007

A Glance Back, and a Look Ahead At "Nashville Art & Artists"

I'm one of those people who think you ought to see where you've been to know where you're going.

I didn't get to focus on "art and artists" exclusively on this blog like I had hoped and initially set out to do ... part of that was I didn't know the art scene in Nashville. In fact, getting acquainted with it was pretty much what I was hoping to do by visiting Galleries and shows and then "reporting" on it here ... but then transportation became a major issue ... and well, golly, you can't report on stuff you see when you can't get there to see it ...!

So then I got curious. Why didn't/couldn't I follow my initial trajectory anymore? I was literally stuck ... What was I doing then, here on this blog? This has become SO much less about the art scene in general and so much more about my teeny corner of doings, thoughts out loud and opinions. LOL

Then the lightbulb moment happened.

I realized I finally, finally -- ONLY JUST THIS YEAR -- have accepted and committed to being a freelance Illustrator and comic book artist. (Intake breath ... exhale ... smile.) It's a little shocking, I know. I thought I had been doing that all along when I moved here ... but I tried to hang on for as long as I could to the "safe" little extra doo-dad jobbies that were not art ... and not fully committing to pursuing getting art-work. But when even the side jobbies finally dried up, I found myself in a corner. My art and writing were all I had left to work with. Literally. I had to get work writing or drawing.

Oddly enough, I was in a "space" like where I was when I was 14 -- only it was 25+ years later! (you know how you sometimes repeat patterns in your life until you correct a behavior?) I discovered, hilariously enough, that by setting out to focus on Nashville art and artists, I have been instead forced to focus on my own art.

So this blog currently is really more like "Nashville Art and Artist". LOL

Hopefully I will have some good art and projects to share soon, then. Meanwhile, I will have to start to rebuild this blog's sidebar ... so that will be one of my primary focuses ... and I hope to share more posts with observations, concerns, comments, etc., all God Willing, with the New Year.

I wanted to also mention that I've enjoyed the small comments I've received from readers and visitors (some comments which are published, others not) who have shared websites and articles with me and/or just chimed in when they also liked something I posted about. It always surprises me when I find out who pops by and visits. It's so nice! Thanks so much for doing so.

It's New Year's Eve today. I'd like to share what I posted over on ComicSpace:

"Onward towards a New Year ... God Willing, we will learn new wonderful things, enjoy the company of family and friends, get good work done, read some excellent books, watch some terrific movies, share happy times, observe the incredible beauty of nature, and be inspired to do great things."

Happy New Year. :)

No comments: